Is Wi-Fi safe? EMF Dangers and Dirty Electricity. How to Protect Yourself
EMF you say? Wasn’t that a band in the 90s?!
Wif-Fi, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing…
Haha. Alright. Where to even begin. I recently fell down this rabbit hole and there is SO much information!
Luckily, if you look, there is a ton of excellent content, research and studies on EMF out there.
I will try to link you to some good sources. Click on the links, I encourage you to learn more; for your safety and the safety of your loved ones. Take it little by little and learn at your pace.
First, EMF stands for Electromagnetic Field.
According to Wikipedia, an electromagnetic field (also EMF or EM field) is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It affects the behavior of charged objects in the vicinity of the field.
The field can be viewed as the combination of an electric field and a magnetic field. The electric field is produced by stationary charges, and the magnetic field by moving charges (currents); these two are often described as the sources of the field.
Electronics, cell phones, wi-fi routers, and some light bulbs, emit EMFs.
Dirty electricity is a form of electromagnetic pollution or radiation. It is also called electromagnetic interference (EMI) or electrical “noise.” It refers to powerful, high frequency electrical energy traveling along the wiring in buildings where only standard 60-Hertz AC electricity should be. This electrical pollution can contain up to 2,500 times the energy of standard electricity.
Here are a few links to explore on Dirty Electricity:
After several YouTube videos and articles later, I have learned about EMFs, dirty electricity and how to protect yourself against them.
Things I have learned thus far:
- I didn’t realize just how much EMFs are emitted from a wireless router. And how wi-fi in schools might be something we do NOT want. And as if I needed another reason to love France, they have BANNED wif-fi in schools.
- The practicality of unplugging most plugs from the outlets (or use the powerstrip on/off button) when not in use.
- Standard headsets send EMFs directly to your head, yikes! Using air-tube headsets are a great option.
- I had NO idea that my “more efficient” CFL lights were emitting EMFs and dirty electricity (see later post for more on light bulbs and EMF).
- Most laptops are not grounded (have a 2-prong plug versus a 3-prong plug) and emit more EMF while plugged in. Try not to use electronic devices while plugged in. There are USB ground adapters, but I think I’ll just run my laptop off the battery and charge when needed, and not while using.
- Do not place laptop on lap, nor let children place iPads or tablets directly on body. And I no longer carry my cell phone in my pocket. And whenever possible, in settings menu- switch to airplane mode. There are a few EMF reducing cell cases, you can decide for yourself if you want one and which one is best. Here are a few brands to check out: DefenderShield, Pong and Cruz cases
- Consider using an aux cord in your car, instead of bluetooth, which emits constant pulse radiation. Experts recommend not using cellphone in car, for streaming music and videos. This one was a dagger for me, as I spend a lot of time in traffic. One work-around is to download podcast (via ethernet cable) and then you can play in your car, while on airplane mode.
- If possible, switch cell phone off at night. If not, consider no longer sleeping with cell phone next to bed. Perhaps put it in the adjoining bathroom, with the door shut.
- Baby monitors, especially video monitors emit dangerous EMFs
- If possible, OPT OUT of Smart Meter installation. If not, here is a shield to reduce EMF.
- Great video on Smart Meters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Mt00xY8eU&feature=youtu.be
- Cordless phones may emit more radiation than your cell phone. Remove all cordless phones from home, or at least remove away from bed and where you sleep. Some experts recommend having your cell phone forwarded to a (hard line) landline phone while at home.
And again, some of the above may sound extreme and possibly not something that appeals to you at all. I am not making money on any of these products, I have no ulterior motive, other then to make you aware of these hidden dangers. It is not a judgement either. It is simply passing along information. It is up to you, which steps, if any, you employ to reduce your exposures. Maybe if you work in an office all day, and you may want to limit your exposure at home. Or your kids schools have installed smart meters and have wi-fi throughout and you prefer to limit their exposure at home. It is hard to avoid EMF, as it is (silently) all around us, but my thought is- control what you can.
Maybe you are more electromagnetic sensitive, and could potentially reduce symptoms by minimizing your exposure. Just like allergies, some are affected more than others. What if those who are hypersensitive, are the canary in the coal mines for the rest of us?
So, what is this about no Wi-Fi?! I mean, I get it. Tell someone to NOT use wi-fi and they will look at you as if you just kicked a puppy. You most likely will get a “oh, so you’re going to start wearing a tin-foil hat now” comment… Don’t fret, insults are the sign of insecurity and the unknown.
Many countries have removed or limited wi-fi in schools, such as France, Germany, Austria, Russia, some schools in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Israel, China. Yep, that is right- China and Russia have looked into these standards, but in the USA, little to nothing has been done regarding lower limits or banning wi-fi in schools.
• Brain tissue is more conductive.
• Skull is thinner.
• Smaller brains and softer brain tissue allows radiation to penetrate more effectively.
• Potentially longer period of exposure due to use beginning at an earlier age.
Barrie Trower is an expert in EMF. He is a former Royal Navy Microwave Weapons Expert. He has a degree in physics. He speaks of the dangers of EMF.
Check out his website, and videos:
- This is a 5 part series, but short and easy to understand
- Ben Greenfield has some great tips on this topic. Part 2 of this podcast, start around 41 min mark, and Ben and neurosurgeon, Dr. Jack Kruse discuss EMF http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2015/01/is-bluetooth-radiation-dangerous/
Of course this issue is multi-faceted, because people and environments are multi-dimensional. You may think, correlation does not imply causation.
There are studies on this topic, but even if you are not convinced of the dangers, IF you had the option of little exposure or high exposure, which would you opt for?
A question to ask yourself is this- where are the studies that show wi-fi (EMF) is safe, who conducted the studies and whom do you want to protect, your loved one or industries?
The companies who make cell phones, say the products are safe. The utility companies who install Smart Meters will tell you the meters are “just as safe as your cell phone”.
According to Barrie Trower, there is a fix for this, but unless the public demands it, it isn’t just going to change.
The BioInitiative Report is what many other nations have looked to for standards.
So, what can you do to minimize your Wi-Fi exposure? Hard-wire. I know, it sounds like a pain, but I did some of the following suggestions, and it was super easy. I promise! I felt good about doing the trick that allows you to connect both iPhone and iPad via ethernet cord.
Below are several links and videos to demonstrate how to do this.
Not ready to turn off your wireless router just yet? The least protective step, but a good step nonetheless, is to at least UNPLUG the router at night, while you are sleeping. There is also a wi-fi router shield, that reduces the amount of EMF called a signal tamer. Check out lessemf.com for many products.
If you cannot have an electrician come in and hard wire your house, there are a few work-arounds.
My first phase of reducing EMFs in my home, was to get a powerline adapter, and some Shielded Cat 6 ethernet cords. Although using this technique does reduce the EMFs, the adapter can cause some dirty electricity… but I think it is an easy first step, and doesn’t require an electrician or the cost to rewire your entire house, which is the best option, but may not be feasible, or at least immediately.
There are ways to reduce your dirty electricity, but the best long term bet is to have an electrician come out and measure the amounts and also check your outlets.
Here is post that explains this further: http://www.electricsense.com/1825/dirty-electricity-gs-filter/
This video explains how you make one trade off for another. I include this to just make the point to not get set that there is only one way to reduce EMFs. You must make sure you are doing it properly, or may be creating either more dirty electricity or magnetic fields.
How to test for dirty electricity.
**When you get your powerline adapter: Make sure you turn OFF the wireless signal on BOTH your router and your laptops, because when ON, it will still emit EMFs, even when not connected.
Here’s some videos on how to do this:
- Powerline adapter video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3bMUmivh8&feature=youtu.be
- iPhone/ iPad ethernet work-around video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ndUO_p_9oI&feature=youtu.be
Here are a few videos on some ideas for reducing EMFs
Dangers of cellphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-naATQX5Jo4&feature=youtu.be&list=PLD61D582ACABDE6EDHotel safety tips for wi-fi radiation: https://youtu.be/o7oBcaT17vw
As you can see, learning more about EMF can lead you into a big rabbit hole. Hopefully you found this information and resources helpful, and are glad to be at least made AWARE of EMF and your environment,
I know we can’t live under a rock, and all technology isn’t bad, but after all this research, it just seems prudent to be mindful of your exposure, and how you can protect yourself. I am not suggesting you have to throw away your cell phone, but at least know some of the risks, and how to reduce your exposure.
Only you can decide which trade-offs for convenience over health to take. Perhaps some of us didn’t even know they were making such trade-offs.
It is like exercise. Some people will say, I can’t run 5 miles, so they do nothing…. they could walk 1 mile. Same concept for EMF protection.
Stay tuned for a post about EMF and light bulbs.
And if you have any cool hacks or tricks, please share with us!